Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Mornings Suck

 
I started this post early last week. The flu kicked my butt big time this past week. So I'll pick up where I left off... 

Last night, I went to bed at 7:15. I had a fever, cough and sore throat. I knew that I couldn't miss work today-- I had a grant to submit and a two hour lecture to give.

I woke up, and yup, still felt terrible. I popped some meds and downed some cough syrup, jumped in the shower and tried to stay positive.

Then the kids woke up.

Mad Mike, he was all good. Did just what I said and was pleasant.

Then Miss P got up. She did the same--got dressed (backwards, because it was wear your clothes backwards day at school).

Next was Baby E. She threw herself every which way as I wrangled her to get her diaper changed and clothes on. She screamed and yelled, "No, Mama! I do it!" All while I have the sweats, am freezing, can't really talk because my throat hurts, and what I really want is to go back to bed.

Then Hudson. He started crying the minute he got up. Which isn't abnormal, he's just like that. After trying to negotiate with an almost three year old, I finally just pinned him down and dressed him while he was still in his bed. He continued to cry. And scream. And whine.

At this time, by body hurts and I just want my mommy. But I started the coffee and pulled up my big girl undies.

Hudson made his way half way down the stairs, continuing to cry scream. I just ignore him and brush everyones teeth. Everleigh throws a fit again and I pin her down on the counter to scrub those teefers. Finally, I see H make his way all the way into the kitchen. It's a lovely sight. One I'm sure you've seen plenty times, as a mom.

 

I do hair, gather backpacks and all the normal morning stuff that you have to do when you're a mom. The entire time, Hudson is screaming his head off. By this time, I've asked him what he wants and why he's crying. I've yelled at him to stop. I've just ignored him. And then, I pulled the trick I love to hate. I'm leaving without you, buddy. See ya. And I packed up the other three kids in the van. I was in tears myself. Didn't he know how sick I was? How I didn't have time for this? How I HATE spending a morning without any positive interaction with my kiddos?? It was breaking my heart. And, I just felt like crap.
 
I did go back in and get H. He went to day care without a coat on that day. I'm gonna take a guess that the temp was about 5 that day. Yep. Don't worry--the van was pretty toasty. We'd been waiting on the stinker a while.


We finally pull out of the driveway and I realized that I never got Miss P breakfast! Back in and throw a waffle in the toaster. What a sweet breakfast. A plain Ego waffle. (Reason #427 why I'm not super-mom!)


Mornings suck. Once and a great while, we have a really good morning. This clearly, wasn't one of them. I try my hardest to be on my best mommy behavior in the mornings especially. I want to set a good tone for the day, and I want to send them to daycare/school with positive thoughts of the morning. But sometimes, it just doesn't work out that way, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment