Wednesday, February 6, 2013

No, it's not Mother's Day yet but I still love my mommy

Moms are pretty amazing, huh?! No, I'm not talking about being a mom, but that's pretty great too. I'm talking about having one. Recently, a few people I know have lost their moms. I can't imagine for one second what that must be like. It makes my heart ache when the thought even enters my mind. In fact, one day as I was driving, I started to think about how often I call or text my mom---I tell her everything. She knows when I have a bad day at work, when I'm excited about something, or when I need help making a decision. And then I started to bawl. I've done this more than once (I do this thinking about my best friend too...a post on her someday soon :) ) .... but it's made me think a lot about my mom, and how thankful I am for her. I was especially reminded of the fact this week, when I was sooo sick. And so were my kids. And who came to the rescue?...mi madre!


 
In college I studied families a lot. In depth about families, which gave me a lot of time to reflect on my own. I wrote papers applying terms and techniques about my own family. Let me tell you--- that was a hot mess. I over analyzed, critiqued, and blamed who I was on my parents. Isn't that what therapy college is for??

But as I've grown, in age and maturity, I often think back at how little I really knew about moms in general.  I knew I really wanted to be a mom. And that I really loved mine. But beyond that, I had no idea how every single decision that she made in life, had me in mind. Like every. single. decision. I know this now, because I have that same thing times 4. No decision is small anymore. It impacts my whole family in some way. I had no idea how even when I was in my thirties, my mom would still come make me homemade chicken noodle soup when I was sick. And she totally did that for me this week.
 
Mom's get a day of recognition, as they should. But for the amount of crap that we put our moms through, the holiday should be like once a month.

I know that being my mom isn't always easy. I'm REALLY emotional. Which can be super fun, if I'm laughing. But when I'm crying, it's probably not very fun. And I know that being a mom to P, H, M and E isn't always easy either. But there is no doubt that it's worth every single hardship in the world, because they are my life. They are my everything. And to my mom, I'm her everything...which is why it's okay that she makes me soup when I'm an adult and a mom of four. It's because that's what moms do. They do whatever they can.



XOXO, Mommy. Thank you for all you do! I love you to poochey dunoochies house and back, with legos on the porch.
~Brook

No comments:

Post a Comment