Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Remember when...

WELCOME!! Welcome to Confessions from the Bergie Bunch! I've heard from many of the followers on  my other blog and you all loved reading about the chaos in our home. I think it made some of you thankful you only have one or two kids. And for some of you, you're thinking, "thank the Lord, someone else is going through this too!" Whatever the reason...thanks for reading!

The number one question I get, and I get it a lot, is, "how do you do it?" I'm not going to answer that today. I mean, you have to stick around to get the good stuff. Today's first post is a look back. How can we get into the dirt on raising kiddos and staying somewhat sane without looking back?


Remember when you drove a non-minivan? Ah, yes. Those were the days. Bumping to some Britney or Nelly with your windows rolled down. When you pulled up next to a guy, you got the guy nod. Now, I turn the music up to drown out the four children piled in the dirty, crumb-filled mini-van. I pull up to the stop light, but instead of checking out the guys next to me, I'm reaching and stretching to grab the toy that was dropped, or I'm doing the wheels on the bus motions. Yup. Good stuff.

Remember when you didn't have to talk in code? Remember when you could talk bad about other people and not have to spell their names? You could actually say words, not s-h-i-t. The best is when they say, "Mom, what does s-e-x spell?"

Remember when you looked like a house because you were pregnant...with twins?! (No? It's okay, just pretend)


And remember when you were in labor, pushing those two 7 pound babies out naturally...and your really funny husband decided to pretend to be catching a ball?? OH, you're not that lucky?? Sorry.
(You're right, thanks for noticing. I have no knees. What's that called? A Thalf? A Thnee?)

Remember when you went out on the weekends because you could actually stay up past 10:00, and the highlight of your night was drinking for $5.00 per cup , not watching Dateline (and then thinking for sure that a random person was going to kidnap your kids)? Remember how you didn't have to worry about anything except  how you were going to get home that night?

Well...my friends may have had to worry that I would find the worst dancer on the floor and bust a move with them. But that's neither here nor there. I digress.


Remember when you slept through the night? That was amazing. And so underrated. I miss you, sleep.


Remember when you could jump and not pee? Okay fine. Maybe you can still do this. Good for you. Four kids in four years, enough said.


Remember when you could keep your silverware drawer unlocked, your scissors on the table and your lotion on the counter? Such simple things in life that are no longer simple anymore. When you have twin toddlers who can master any lock and use a laundry basket to reach waaaaay up high, you miss the simple pleasure of keeping lotion in a normal spot.

Remember when you did fun stuff with your husband...because you could? Because that's what you did...fun stuff. You went out to eat and talked (unless you're married to my husband), you took mini-vacays and never missed the Brewers home opener!


Ahhhh. Remembering all of those things that change so significantly when you have children. And even more so, when you have so many children! In the last 5 years, my life has changed SO much. And you know what...for years, I prayed for this exact thing. Minus the no sleep. Who would pray for less sleep?? That's just stupid. But for real, I prayed for four children. I wanted chaos and a minivan suburban full of kiddos. So I guess my dreams came true?! 
Even though so much changes, and its so cliche, I'd for sure rather watch my kiddos have a living room dance party than watch my old ass trying to dance in a bar after 10 drinks.
So for all of you moms needing a night out-- do it. Take a night out. Go remember why it's a better idea to watch Dateline on a Friday night.
And it's okay to think about what use to be. As long as you never forget that what you have now is better.  And no doubt about it...this is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment